A century before the Pearl District pushed penthouses prices to the moon, Nob Hill was the address for Portland’s rich and famous.
While grocery baron Fred Meyer occupied the entire top floor of the landmark 1929 Envoy building on one side of Burnside Street, artists and entrepreneurs were flying into multilevel, luxury pads across the road.
Residences in Northwest Portland seemed more fitting to Manhattan than Stumptown. Architectural firms like Whitehouse Fouilhoux were on a tear to sketch out plans for pricey European and Eastern-style buildings and mansions.
One of the grandest buildings by the firm was known as the Seven Hundred Five Davis Street Apartments in fashionable Nob Hill.
The seven-story, French Renaissance-style structure formed a U-shape fronted by a formal courtyard. Exterior walls were covered in off-white terra cotta and soft red brick.
The entrance foyer’s elevator was installed a year before one was famously inserted into the Pittock Mansion a